In the fall of 1947, Jane and Martin Tarnow opened the first Martin’s Super Market as an 800-square-foot store in the 1500 block of Portage Avenue in South Bend, Indiana. From that small beginning, Martin’s Super Markets has grown to 22 stores located in South Bend, Mishawaka, Elkhart, Granger, Nappanee, Plymouth, Logansport, Goshen and Warsaw Indiana, as well as stores in Niles, St. Joseph and Stevensville, Michigan.
The Tarnows made their small store a success through hard work, determination and innovative ideas. Although these qualities are always important, it’s customer service that is the top priority at every Martin’s Super Markets. Each Martin’s employee is trained to meet customers’ needs, while providing the best quality products and greatest value for the dollar.
Martin’s has continued to offer its customers added conveniences such as full-service Pharmacies and specialty departments, including Side Door Deli Cafés, which offer a full variety of hot and cold ready-to-eat menu items. Customers can even pick up their favorite Starbucks® beverage at over half of Martin’s stores.
Paw Mart pet supply stores are located in Elkhart’s Jackson Boulevard, Cobblestone Crossing, Mishawaka's Bittersweet Road, Granger North and St. Joseph’s Cleveland Avenue locations. A “Do It Best” hardware center is located inside Martin’s Portage Avenue location in South Bend. Martin’s Advantage Card holders enjoy exclusive discounts at any one of seven Martin’s Fuel Centers. Customers can also get their prescriptions filled while they shop at any one of fifteen convenient, in-store pharmacies.
Community service and involvement are also high on the list of priorities at Martin’s Super Markets. In November 1989, Martin’s initiated the Heat for Homes program, an annual campaign to raise funds to keep the heat turned on for families in need during the winter months. Heat for Homes has resulted in more than $1.6 million in heating assistance for families in St. Joseph, Elkhart, Marshall and Cass counties in Indiana.
To meet the needs of area schools, Martin’s established the Advantages for Education program which helps schools earn much-needed educational equipment through customers’ use of their Martin’s Advantage Cards. Martin’s has donated $3.4 million in cash and computer equipment to area schools since 1989. Martin’s also sponsors several other programs that give back to the community, including Stuff a Bus (food drive) and Roofsit (prevent child abuse). Visit our community page to find out more about our community efforts.
Still a family-owned and operated business, Rob Bartels, the grandson of founder Martin Tarnow, is currently the president and CEO of Martin’s Super Markets.