Besides dressing up in your favorite costumes, the next best part about Halloween is the CANDY - am I right?! But if you are trying to meet your health and wellness goals OR if your child has food allergies, candy from the neighbors may not be on your list of favorites and you may be dreading the upcoming holiday.
As parents, it may be difficult to walk the boarder of allowing your child to take part in the festivities only to not know where to stop prior to ruining a healthy lifestyle. As candy offers little-to-no added nutritional value, the best is to work with your child on keeping the serving sizes small - around 100 calories. What does that look like?
These candy treats all have around 100 calories:
- 3 snack size Twizzlers or Starburst fruit chews
- 8 Dots
- 13 Brach's Candy Corn
- 28 M&Ms
- 60 Smarties
- 1 snack size York Peppermint Patties
- 2 Twix minis
- 3 Milky Way Midnight Minis
- 1 Snickers Fun Size
- 4 Mini 3 Musketeers
- 5 mini Tootsie Rolls
Do you have a child will food allergies or intolerances? The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN http://www.foodallergy.org/) has developed tips to keep your children safe this Halloween.
- Have something available to trade for the candy your child can't eat
- Pass out non-food items and encourage neighbors and friends to do the same
- Create a candy swap with other children so your child can trade allergy-inducing items
- Teach children to politely refuse homemade goodies
- Make sure your child carries his/her medication during trick-or-treating
What's our favorite allergen-friendly candy option? Dum Dum Lollipops
Remember, the eight most common allergens are milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish. Even if your child does not have a food allergy, be respectful of other trick-or-treaters by making sure your candies don't contain any of these ingredients.
If you are looking to avoid candy, here are some of our favorite healthy Halloween treat alternatives:
- Granola bars
- Tail mix
- Gummy treats with real fruit juice
- Single-Serve packages at popcorn
- Fresh fruit
- Sugar Free Hot Chocolate packets