The skate is a member of the shark family. The wing has no bones and has a very mild flavor which lends well to different seasonings. It can be difficult to cook as it is a very delicate flesh and requires delicate handling. It may be breaded and pan fried or, as we will be doing here, grilled. Skate is rather void of nutrition yet high in protein. A 3.5 oz. piece has about 90 calories, 1 gram of fat and a whopping 20 grams of protein. You will want to purchase your skate wing in a filet that is ready to cook. Now on to the recipe:
Angel's Skate Wing, wings
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon natural yogurt
Juice and rind of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons parsley
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper
Olive oil for brushing
1. Mix garlic, chili, paprika, olive oil, sugar, yogurt, half of lemon juice, salt and pepper together.
2. Place skate wing in a flat dish. Pour in the marinate and mix well. Cover, refrigerate and marinate for at least one hour.
3. Prepare grill for medium high cooking. Brush both side of the marinated fish with olive oil. Grill for 15-20 minutes turn at 5 minute intervals.
4. Optional lemon and herb sauce: melt the buttering a pan, add the rest of the lemon juice and herbs. Heat through gently and season to taste.
5. Serve the Skate wing with lemon sauce, a wedge of lemon, and your favorite side.
We enjoyed this with a Santa Cristina pinot grigio. This wine is straw yellow in color and features delicate and fruity aromas of yellow apples and citrus peel. It is a soft balanced wine for ease of drinking.
We also paired a Tabor Hill chardonnay. It features rich full flavors of melon and citrus fruits with a hint of vanilla. Partial aging in French and American oak barrels imparts luscious mouthfeel with toasty, buttery notes followed by a crisp, clean finish.
For a printable version of this recipe click here: Angel's Skate Wing
Pin this recipe:
About the Blogger:
Angel Lemons is the Seafood Manager at Martin's on SR 23 & Ironwood. She began her career with Martin's in 2000, working part time while attaining an associates degree in fitness at Southwestern Michigan College. She began working full time in 2001 after graduating, and has managed a number of seafood departments throughout the company. Angel enjoys spending time with her family, cooking out on the grill and trying new recipes with her husband. She's been proud to call the SR23 & Ironwood store her home for eight years, and looks forward to seeing you at her seafood counter soon!